Day Zero started out with the catchy challenge of completing 101 things in 1001 days. This has been enormously popular with tens of thousands of people getting involved and sharing their lists. We now offer many more types of challenges, but here are the original guidelines for the challenge:
The Challenge:Complete 101 preset tasks in a period of 1001 days.The Criteria:Tasks must be specific (ie. no ambiguity in the wording) with a result that is either measurable or clearly defined. Tasks must also be realistic and stretching (ie. represent some amount of work on your part).
Why 1001 Days?
Many people have created lists in the past – frequently simple challenges such as New Year’s resolutions or a ‘Bucket List’. The key to beating procrastination is to set a deadline that is realistic. 1001 Days (about 2.75 years) is a better period of time than a year, because it allows you several seasons to complete the tasks, which is better for organizing and timing some tasks such as overseas trips, study semesters, or outdoor activities. (source: Dayzeroproject.com
So without any further delay, and in completely random order, here is my list!
1. Ride in a hot air balloon.
2. Host a family dinner party.
3. Take a yoga class once a week for a month.
4. Send a message in a bottle.
5. No Facebook for 7 consecutive days.
6. Volunteer at an animal shelter.
7. Complete 25 random acts of kindness in 1 month. (0/25)
8. Order our wedding album.
9. Try 10 new restaurants. (0/10)
10. Try 10 new foods. (0/10)
11. Send out Christmas cards.
12. Go to the optometrist.
13. Take Madigan hiking.
14. Have a picnic.
15. Start a new tradition.
16. Go a month without eating at a restaurant / getting take-out.
17. Make a drastic hair change.
18. Get a hot stone massage.
19. Spend a weekend with no technology (cell phone, tv, iPad, laptop, kindle)
20. Attend my graduation.
21. Visit 3 different churches and select one to go to on a regular basis.
22. Go an entire day without complaining, repeat this on 5 different days.
23. Switch to only reusable bags for grocery shopping.
24. Finish Disc 1 of Rosetta Stone.
25. Find out my blood type and donate.
26. Exercise 3x per week for 2 months.
27. Visit 5 places I have never been to. (0/5)
28. Find my perfect foundation color & brand.
29. Attend a live taping of a tv show.
30. Blog 3x per week for a month.
31. Update address book with mailing addresses and important dates.
32. Create a fairy garden.
33. Create a 101 in 1001 journal.
34. Paint the upstairs hallway.
35. Organize the coat closet.
36. Complete an Instagram challenge.
37. Organize my bedroom closet.
38. See a drive-in movie.
39. Attend a cooking class.
40. Participate in a 5k, without walking.
41. Catch up on our yearly family photobooks.
42. Let go of an unhealthy friendship.
43. Complete dailyburn.com training program.
44. Send 10 “just because” cards to 10 different people one month. (0/10)
45. Make 5 new friends. (0/5)
46. Take dogs for a walk daily for a month.
47. See a dentist re: shifting teeth.
48. Order curtains for the kitchen.
49. Complete 10 recipes found on pinterest. (0/10)
50. Create and follow a monthly meal plan for 2 months.
51. Wake up by 7:30am for 2 weeks.
52. Go to bed with no technology for 2 weeks.
53. Drink 100 ounces of water each day for a week.
54. Organize my seasonal clothing storage.
55. Create a weekly household cleaning plan and follow it for 2 weeks.
56. Vacation alone for a long weekend.
57. Plan a full course romantic dinner by candlelight.
58. Complete the Princess Half Marathon.
59. Complete a 2 minute plank.
60. Do 25 situps every day for a month.
61. Complete the Wine Trail Passport.
62. Leave 100 notes for operationbeautiful.com (0/100)
63. Send 25 cards/letters to soldiers overseas / OR / Adopt a soldier for one year.
64. Send 10 care packages to soldiers during a non-holiday season. (0/10)
65. Introduce myself to 5 neighbors I have not met yet. (0/5)
66. Host a neighborhood BBQ.
67. Be part of a flash mob.
68. Photograph a landscape from the same location each season and frame the pictures.
69. Complete the “50 questions that would free your mind”.
70. Attend one meetup event every month for a year.
71. Complete the couch25K program.
72. Have a date night each week for a month; get dressed up no matter what the activity is.
73. Do my hair & makeup every day for a week.
74. Have professional pictures of the family taken.
75. Start a family.
76. See a dermatologist.
77. Come up with weekly blog topics and write about them weekly for 2 months.
78. Print & frame travel photos.
79. Stay at a bed & breakfast.
80. Visit a country I have never been to.
81. Complete therapy dog training with Madigan.
82. Go ice skating in NYC.
83. Spend an afternoon traveling the state taking pictures.
84. Complete 10 projects found on Pinterest. (0/10)
85. Comment on one random blog each week for 2 months.
86. Find an organization in my town to volunteer for.
87. Write a yelp review whenever I use the app to help me decide where to go.
88. Get professionally fitted for, and purchase, good quality running shoes.
89. Document “A Day In My Life” in pictures.
90. Say “no” to one thing each week for 2 months I would normally agree to just to keep
91. Take a cake decorating class.
92. Walk 10,000 steps every day for a month.
93. Visit 5 different National Parks. (0/5)
94. Go to a professional football game.
95. Try Reiki.
96. Cut down our Christmas tree ourselves.
97. Hand-make at least 50% of my Christmas gifts for others.
98. Finish the afghan.
99. Go kayaking.
100. Ride every ride in Walt Disney World.
101. Create new 101 in 1001 list!
I will be updating this list as time ticks along, adding when the goal was accomplished and a link to any related posts. Have you started and/or completed your own 101 in 1001 challenge? Post your link in the comments, I would LOVE to see what goals you included and how you kept track of your progress!